CIFOR is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
They conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. They help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Thier multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Some of the Duties and responsibilities includes:
- Contribute to the design of research through a survey of existing literature; policy analysis; design of a mixed-method research protocol. The latter would include development of smallholder typology through a combination of remote sensing, plantation inspection, household and intra-household surveys, semi-structured interviews and focus group discussions (FGDs) with diverse female and male stakeholder groups. It would also include an assessment of land rightsabor practices, decision-making opportunities and access to productive resources in these smallholder production systems for women and men through these mixed-methods;
- Co-develop and manage project budget and follow existing procedures to ensure project financial deliverables are met;
- Contribute towards fundraising proposals and represent the research project in relevant fundraising meetings;
- Lead the collection of data through the recruitment and training of enumerators and by supervising field staff;
- Contribute to the analysis of findings to construct a smallholder typology based on data collected; analyze key gender issues related to land, labor, decision making and access to productive resources in different types of smallholder production systems;
More information and application here: http://www.cifor.org/career/118/senior-research-officer/